Education is pivotal to the work of Insulin Pumps Wales in the development and delivery of services.. Whilst there are issues such as staffing/resources across the NHS both here in Wales and across the UK it is our aim to address issues, build and help teams develop robust, safe and accessible world class CSII therapy services aligned to the Wales Diabetes Delivery Plan and National /International Best Practice recommendations.
In order to promote this theme through 2018 and beyond Insulin Pumps Wales will provide:
- Regional Education Sessions for Diabetes Centres - to help centres keep up to date with continuing professional development and the skills and knowledge to provide care to new and existing CSII users as well as helping embed CSII as a routine treatment for people with type 1 diabetes in to teams. Education at a regional level will mean individuals and teams will not have to travel across Wales' vast geography to receive high quality education and support.
- A learning module for non-specialist health care professionals to upskill them/you in the fundamentals of CSII therapy and associated technology to help them better support CSII users across Wales. We will also be providing specific guidelines based on national best practice in areas such as surgery/procedures, General Practice and Inpatient Care.
- Insulin Pump Wales are hoping to work with other UK organisations to provide healthcare professionals new to CSII therapy such as new diabetes specialist nurses, dieticians and specialist registrars with an introductory education day to help embed the knowledge and skills to embed insulin pump care in to routine practice.
- Our annual education Meeting in July (date tbc) will provide the very latest updates in CSII therapy and associated technologies and provide teams with an update on progress against the Diabetes Delivery Plan and results of the UK annual national audit as well as launching new resources to support clinical care.
The Annual refresher online module for patients has been developed by a multidisciplinary team of diabetes specialists to support the ongoing skills taught at initiation of CSII therapy for patients awill help people living with diabetes on CSII develop further confidence and competence in self managing their condition. Those who complete the module can generate a personalised certificate they can share with you as evidence that they have undertaken this annual requirement.
- Exploration of partnership working and potential to work with industry to help deliver on our commitment to educating and developing teams across Wales in a transparent manner.